Plant-based foods are an increasingly popular choice for many Americans with an increase in sales of 20% in 2018, according to the Plant Based Foods Association (1). One reason for this surging popularity includes consumers’ perceived beneficial impacts on the environment. Another reason is how it supports overall health and wellness as well as helps one maintain a healthy body weight (2). However, to fully benefit from a plant-based diet, it is necessary to identify and consume nutritionally complete plant-based proteins. Unfortunately, it can often be challenging to meet specific nutritional targets while focusing on plant-based nutrition. Consequently, getting the right amount — and type — of protein from plant-based sources can be challenging.
By offering IsaPro® Plant-Based Protein, Isagenix has now made it easy to consume great tasting and nutritionally optimal plant-based protein! Plant-based IsaPro provides many of the same benefits as the original dairy-based IsaPro: support for muscle building and maintenance, a healthy metabolism, and athletic performance and recovery.
Many plant-based proteins on the market lack a complete amino acid profile and may provide protein from poor-quality sources. In contrast, Isagenix has carefully formulated IsaPro Plant-Based Protein using a blend of non-GMO brown rice and pea proteins to provide 18 grams of high-quality protein per serving. IsaPro Plant-Based Protein also provides an amino acid profile rich in muscle-supporting branched-chain amino acids and an overall profile comparable to whey protein.
By featuring pea- and brown rice-based proteins, plant-based IsaPro provides many health benefits associated with these proteins. For example, pea protein has been reported to lower food intake after a meal and to promote feelings of satiety (3). Upon digestion, it yields bioactive peptides exhibiting antioxidant and immune-supporting activities (4, 5). Additionally, brown rice protein has been shown to improve body composition and exercise performance in healthy young males who complete resistance training (6).
Beyond its 18 grams of high-quality protein, plant-based IsaPro also contains 3 grams of fat and 4 or 5 grams of carbohydrates (vanilla and chocolate flavors, respectfully) in 120 calories. Other plant-based proteins available on the market often have poor taste and texture, which can prevent consumers from getting a healthy, nutritious product. We took care in ensuring plant-based IsaPro tastes great in both Chocolate and Vanilla with a smooth, pleasant texture.
Overall, IsaPro Plant-Based Protein is a convenient, versatile source of high-quality plant-based proteins. Whether it is enjoyed as a midday snack, a post-workout drink, an addition to an IsaLean® Shake, a mix-in for recipes, or as part of the Bedtime Belly Buster, there is no wrong way to add IsaPro Plant-Based Protein into your dietary regimen of optimized health and wellness.
- Plant Based Foods Association. 2018 U.S. Retail Sales Data for Plant-Based Foods. https://plantbasedfoods.org/consumer-access/nielsen-data-release-2018/.
- Melina V, Craig W, Levin S. Position of the American Dietetic Association: Vegetarian Diets. J Acad Nutr Diet 2016 Dec;116(12):1970-1980.
- Abou-Samra R, Keersmaekers L, Brienza D, Mukherjee R, Mace K. Effect of different protein sources on satiation and short-term satiety when consumed as a starter. Nutr J 2011;10:139.
- Ndiaye F, Vuong T, Duarte J, Aluko RE, Matar C. Anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory and immunomodulating properties of an enzymatic protein hydrolysate from yellow field pea seeds. Eur J Nutr 2012;51:29-37.
- Dahl WJ, Foster LM, Tyler RT. Review of the health benefits of peas (Pisum sativum L.). Br J Nutr 2012;108 Suppl 1:S3-10.
- Joy JM, Lowery RP, Wilson JM et al. The effects of 8 weeks of whey or rice protein supplementation on body composition and exercise performance. Nutr J 2013;12:86.